Monitoring and Evaluation Framework
All of the above legacy M&E software platform have stated based on results framework. During the mid-1990s, USAID started a new approach to monitor programs throughout the international development agencies, known as Performance Monitoring Plans (PMP). Central to PMP is the results framework -- planning, communications, and management tool.
The results framework includes
- Strategic objectives
- All intermediate results
Limitations of Results Framework
- Cause-and-effect Linkages: The framework describes the ways that program interventions contribute to the results through cause-and-effect linkages. The framework cannot do robust traceability of influence or attributions
- Not easy to quantify many interventions that require policy changes etc.
- Framework forces unnecessary fear of not reaching specific outcome causing program managers in limiting or selecting limited outputs
Limitations of Legacy M&E Software
Many M & E Software suffer from
- Rigid framework does not allow to define appropriate social impact context required for each unique initiative
- Long and tedious implementation time. Most software implementation can take a long time to implement.
- Cost is significantly high. See example
- By the time implementation takes, the requirements may change. This creates a tremendous change control risk
- Project management can now be done easily by so many online SAAS based products at the faction of the cost.
Monitoring and Evaluation at International NGOs
Many International NGOs are different from traditional international development agencies. Unlike development agencies, INGO typically has office headquartered in western countries such as the US, Canada or Europe. They often act a funder to the program organizations in different countries. These county offices often act as decentralized units, who often have different types of processes. The challenge with that approach is headquartered often needs much faster visibility of data
- Social Impact
Traditional M & E software does not provide any support similar to the data warehouse for the country level offices. These offices often collect data in the form of paper, offline mobile data collection or local IT systems. However, aligning data requirements between different offices becomes challenging.
Monitoring and Evaluation at International Development Finance
Mid and Large size development finance institutes often are faced with inherent limitations of results framework based design. This approach seems to make the process of impact data aggregation time consuming.
SoPact Impact Cloud® changes game...
Traditional M&E Software and SoPact Impact Cloud® both have similar goals. However their approaches are completely different.
Remember SoPact Impact Cloud is
- A flexible M & E platform that allows to build a flexible impact framework unique to each organizations unique need
- Traditional M & E on the other hand is is tightly coupled with results framework
- Start your impact journey with theory of change
- Logframe based approach focuses on activity and not outcome
- Save time with global impact indicators
- Traditional M&E software
- Only custom indicators
- Limited reporting format
- Limited qualitative and quantitative alignment
- Aligns with sustainable development goals (SDG) and global indicators
- No concept or scope of SDG alignment
- SoPact Impact Cloud simplifies top level portfolio data aggregation. Impact Cloud focuses on an easier alignment with the downstream, decentralized organizations. Impact Cloud's flexible approach allows rapid and flexible alignment necessary for the decentralized organization structure.
- Traditional M&E software is based on rigid reporting framework approach
- SoPact Impact Cloud automatically integrates program data. Its unique data warehouse based approach simplifies data aggregation from different data sources such as paper, online survey, offline survey and custom database
- Traditional M & E focuses on results aggregation and does not provide any support for data aggregation at the downstream level. This is a major flaw in their approach as downstream impact organization often do not lean social impact through lean data approach.
- SoPact Impact Cloud is integrated with powerful state of art qualitative and quantitative analytics